User manual translations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jul 25 07:13:09 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 02:48:41PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Starting with the release of V4.2, I will do manual versioning of the
> updates to the user manual. This is to make it easier for the individuals
> involved in translations. With git, explicit versioning is totally
> redundant, but it is based on a SHA values which, if I understand it, is
> random and does not help the translators to know whether any patches were
> missed. Therefore a sequential version number is probably required to help
> the translators with any updates. Does this sound like a viable approach,
> seen from  a developer's point of view? Or am I trying to rediscover the
> wheel?

I'm very impressed by the commitment of people willing to translate the
manual. That is an amazing amount of work.

I don't think a sequential serial number really helps them. If Salvador
has the commit SHA of the last version that he translated, then he can
easily create a diff of the English manual since then:

git diff SHA Documentation/user-manual.txt

This shows the translator exactly what has changed since the last
translation and he can focus on that.

I actually think that it would be smart if Salvador (and any other
potential translators of the manual) would add the SHA of the version the
translation is based on to the header on top of the translated file...