GSOC project updates

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 28 08:10:50 PDT 2014

On Jul 28, 2014, at 8:03 AM, Venkatesh Shukla <venkatesh.shukla.eee11 at iitbhu.ac.in> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> On Jul 28, 2014, at 7:39 AM, Venkatesh Shukla <venkatesh.shukla.eee11 at iitbhu.ac.in> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
> >> Don't reimplement things if they already work ._.
> >
> > Things do work but not without Qt. And subsurface-android would not
> > have Qt dependencies. Hence, the reimplementation.
>
> Why? My understanding is that Qt is available for Android.
> Thiago?
>
> /D
>

> Anton and I have decided that it is better not to use Qt on android. Not using Java on android limits the things that are accessible. For instance the USB Host mode. My implementation using the JNI and Qt library is ugly and prone to bugs.
>
> Hence the plan was to dump Qt as a whole from subsurface-android and start fresh. Subsurface-library will be built containing all core functions needed on subsurface and the user interface would be Xml and Java based as is usual on android.
>
> This will give us two big advantages :
> 1. All core functionality of subsurface is used directly. Hence new developments will be valid for subsurface android as well with minor tweaking for UI.
> 2. All android specific functions would be available on android with relative ease.
>
> Now, if we remove all the qt-ui files from subsurface-build, we also lose some important functions which would be needed for proper functioning of subsurface-library. For instance, the functions of qthelper.cpp and translation. Hence, I was reimplementing those without using Qt libraries.
>
> Please give feedbacks on this approach.

It’s not what I expected to happen and I would love to hear feedback from Thiago / Tomaz, but in the end this is between you and Anton to decide (in the context of GSOC).
I will play with the APK later today to get an idea how this all looks.

In principal I’m sad that we now will maintain three UIs - the HTML/JS one, the Java one, the Qt one. But I guess it is what it is.