GSOC project updates

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:57:31 PDT 2014

On 28 July 2014 18:40, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> Well, Since we ( me and thiago ) are not using subsurface only for it
> to be a awesome diving app but also as a stress test of Qt on the
> platforms it supports, I don't like that for a few reasons that I'll
> try to explain:
>
> *if* we do a Java - only version for android, we would need to do the
> same for iOS later using Objective-C, wich will make... *4* uis. I
> don't think that's good.
>
> the Web stuff we can't run from it, since it runs everywhere that a
> javascript runs, but also it's important to show our exported dives on
> the web with ease.
>
> Android is already a Supported platform on Qt ( this doesn't means
> that Qt works on Android, but that Qt works on android *and* has full
> support from it's developers ),
>
> subsurface is a very complex app with has a lot of user interfaces,
> recreating all those in android can be quite time consuming and error
> prone ( wel, I'v spend almost one year porting stuff from gtk to qt,
> port that to android libraries would also take time, then port those
> to iOS ... )
>
> I *think* we should stick to One library and try not to recreate the
> well for every platform that we need to support - That was the main
> reason we choose Qt.
>
> We can use Java stuff from C++ on Android for the missing stuff on Qt
> ( that surely will be less and less overtime )

^ this.
i don't have much of a vote here, but the idea by Anton and Venkatesh
to create the UI in Java and use Subsurface as a library on Android
gets a -1.
to me it seems that the task is underestimated here..by .a lot. the
"subsurface as a library" part alone is a ton of work if i overview
this correctly.

Qt 5.2+ with some of the things like QAndroidJniObject,
QAndroidJniEnvironment is the way to go, ugly or not.

no comments on GSOC specifics.

lubomir