GSOC project updates

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 10:01:55 PDT 2014

On 28 July 2014 19:54, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> QML can takes care of that, I'v already created a Subsurface QML
>>> interface just for fun and it was almost easy to do. :)
>>>

>> and can be done in C++ based on our current UI - just show the "view"
>> that is needed?
>>
>> for a recent Qt / POC project i completely ditched QML in favor of C++
>> because i wanted a more direct QGraphicsScene interaction.
>> QML only provided the "quick" part in terms of instantiating UI
>> elements, but not the control and performance i wanted.
>
> True in Qt4, false in Qt5. in Qt5 QML uses OpenGL directly so it
> should be faster / smoother than QGraphicsView.

well, QML to my knowledge is built based on QGraphicsView and
QGraphicsView can use QGLWidget as a viewport, which i've tried and it
works apart from minor font glitches for now.

the performance of QML's animation (this should be also based on Qt's
animation framework) and of Context2D (for heavy SVG like drawing)
were main decision factors to stick to C++.

lubomir