GSOC project updates

Richard DePas richard.depas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 11:06:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 28 July 2014 20:33, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> OpenGL.
> >>
> >> Then I hope they fix this bug, as they are selling QML as the big thing
> in Qt.
> >> We can do a touch ui based on QGraphicsView, but it will be so much
> >> easier in QML ( mostly because now there's a widget's QML package )
> >>

> > me and Dirk are asking the same question in a way, do we even have to
> > create a new UI? can we just style the existing UI to be usable on
> > android with #ifdefs and things like setStyleSheet(...). also only
> > show one Subsurface view at a time?
> >
> > from what i've gathered both you and Anton mention that the main issue
> > is the tiny UI elements.
> > that aside, aren't all parts like the profile and dive list already
> > working on Android - do they receive touch events, does input text
> > fields open the Android keyboard etc..?
>
> well, There are some parts of the interface that will not ever be good
> even if we style it:
>
> The Dive Info part should be vertical, two fields side by side is too
> big for phones ( but works for tablets )
>
> the dive list has too many fields.
>
> "do we even have to create a new UI" -> to get the most of the platform,
> yes.
> at least three UI's:
>
> - Tablet
> - Phone
> - Desktop

I vote for new UI for the different devices. In the past I have used Dive
Log 5.0 on both Desktop and Android. The UI's were completely different but
both were very usable. Swiping would help but I believe use of the Desktop
UI on a phone would require a lot of zooming to see values as well as some
screens would make sense to be in portrait orientation for the graph would
be best viewed in landscape.