GSOC project updates

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Mon Jul 28 13:01:25 PDT 2014

On Monday 28 July 2014 09:58:44 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > True in Qt4, false in Qt5. in Qt5 QML uses OpenGL directly so it
> > should be faster / smoother than QGraphicsView.
>
> But that still means we are developing a different UI. Yes, at least it
> would be the same for IOS and Android (I assume), but still... I want to
> know what can be done to have just one - or is this a pipe dream, given
> touch vs mouse?

That's what the recommendation has been: develop one desktop UI and one mobile
UI. The two have very different UX needs, including mouse/touch differences but
also the ability to follow the native look-and-feel of the target platform.

The QtWidgets library we've been using for desktop was designed in the
mid-1990s and does not fit the model for mobile UIs (it can't do animations
very well, for example). It has not been and will not be updated to work on
mobile UIs.

So if we want a mobile UI, the recommended way by the Qt Project is to use Qt
Quick Components.

That's not to say a complete reimplementation. For one thing, there is a way
to insert some of the existing QPainter-based widgets, like the graph in the
dive profile. For another, the long-term recommendation by the Qt Project is to
design our desktop UI with Qt Quick Components too, which is not something
we're ready to do just yet.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358