GSoC Progress: Configuring Dive Computers via Subsurface

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Mon Jul 28 13:09:46 PDT 2014

On Monday 28 July 2014 08:06:58 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> I don’t have a firm rule for that.
> I usually ask that commits don’t break the build (because that makes
> bisecting so much more painful). I don’t like it when people send me
> sequences like this:

> revert A
>
> (just rebase and drop A and revertA)
>
> Or if two consecutive commits are
>
> New code plus debug output
> Remove debug output
>
> (just rebase and squash them together)

It's more like:

Add some code
Add some more code related to the first
Do something else
Replace constants in commits #1 and 2 with enums

It reads as a train of thought too: Josh started doing something one way and
then realised he needed to refactor in order to be more flexible for different
dive computers.

> But especially in longer series it seems to make little sense to try and
> make them look perfect. Basically apply good taste and do what seems right.
> If I hate it, I’ll yell :-)

Understood.

> And yes, I would love a copy of the repository where you have signed off the
> commits that you have reviewed, Thiago. This will document that this was
> GSOC work where a mentor spent the time and effort to review the code
> before I pulled it.

Will do and will try to squash things together where it makes sense.

By the way, I also told Josh that I would count the code he developed for
libdivecomputer as part of his GSoC project, though I haven't seen any yet.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358