final steps towards 4.2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 29 09:31:52 PDT 2014

Bugfixing
---------

Tomaz and I are fixing some of the newly reported bugs.
I invite others to take a look at trac as well :-)

Translations
------------

We'll get one more string in a moment (I'll simply fix up the existing
commit instead of waiting for a new one). We have made amazing progress
with Chinese being completed, Estonian catching up (but still missing
quite a bit), Russian, Dutch, French, and Slovak now at 99/100%...

Languages that could use some love in order to be included in the 4.2
binaries include

- Italian (we have quite a few Italians here - volunteers?)
- Greek (small team, sadly)
- Hebrew (we had an active team but they seem to have disappeared)
- Romanian

The others are below 50% and I doubt they'll make it.

Documentation
-------------

Willem is doing an awesome job - I'm sure he'd love feedback if people
could take the time to read through it with Subsurface open to try
everything - this is a great thing that the contributors who aren't
developers could do for us.
I think Salvador is only one commit behind (the one from today) on the
translation to Spanish, so that's in great shape, too.

README / Relnotes - those need a lot of work. I always struggle doing
those and it tends to be a last minute effort... if someone wants to help
and send in patches I'd love that.

Website
-------

The updates to the pages I think I can do by search and replace, even in
the languages I don't speak. I'll draft and announcement once the README /
Relnotes are done (since I usually borrow heavily from those).

Timeline
--------

Assuming nothing major goes wrong, I'd hope for the end of this week. If
translators need until after the weekend, just let me know and I'd be
willing to hold things back a couple more days.

Thanks everyone