Rebreathers in Subsurface - new branch

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 2 08:31:10 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 05:06:31PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 16:41, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> >Willem, almost 5k lines in one single commit is very hard to track down if
> >it's right and wrong, do you have the history of the branch or you didn't
> >make smaller commits? in any case, I can help you to separate that into
> >saner, smaller bits, and commits if you want. Tomaz
>
> Tomaz,
>
> I appreciate your positive attitude. Thank you. Would it make sense to break
> it up into three commits? Since I have all the code at hand and it is still
> fairly fresh in my mind I suspect I could perhaps do it in about 20h of
> work.

20h? That's crazy.

So when creating the code, you never created commits in a local
repository? You wrote all this as one big change.

Before you waste 20h on breaking it down let me look at it to see what's
there.

Moving forward, take a look at the granularity in which most of us break
down things. Add one helper function. That's a commit. Use it. That's a
commit. Add a new dialog. That's a commit. Integrate it.

You get the picture.

Thanks