Planner doesn't care about MOD of first gas

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 05:05:18 PDT 2014

On 3 June 2014 08:17, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 06:41:23AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> > While the subsequent gas changes look like they're doing the right
>> > thing, it doesn't seem to care about the ppO2 of the first gas. See
>> > the attached screenshot, there is nothing telling me that taking 40%
>> > nitrox to 44m (a ppO2 of 2.2) may not be a good idea. You can take it
>> > to sillier values than that.
>>
>> Correct. The manually added gases are not checked. You can turn on the
>> ppO2 graph and it will show you that you are doing something stupid, but
>> we are not doing anything beyond that.
>> Would be very easy to add, though.
>
> I added that - let me know if this is what you had in mind.

The warning looks good to me. Somehow preventing the user from
exceeding a limit was what I actually had in mind, but the more I
think about it, the less I see the benefit/need to restrict the entry.
This isn't 'diving for dummies' - anyone who has had the training to
dive at depth and breath gasses that could exceed ppO2 limits should
understand the limits and manage the arithmetic without any software.
Adding the warning as you have done is good, because it still alerts
you that something is wrong (probably wrong gas was selected).

The ppO2 graph works, but I can't turn on the MOD graph in the
profile, either for real dives or planned ones. This would be useful
in my opinion, but probably not the highest priority.

>> > On a related note, is it possible to set a different max ppO2 for back
>> > gas and deco gas? I don't know the best way of going about this
>> > without making it overly complicated. Getting subsurface to tell the
>> > difference between the two may be an issue. Perhaps another column to
>> > the available gas table where the max ppO2 can be manually edited so
>> > the user can set a value of 1.4 for back gas and 1.6 for deco?
>>
>> That's a good idea. Again, it adds to the configuration complexity, but
>> it's something that I do for my own diving, so it must be important :-)
>
> Playing with this some more - the easiest way to do this is for you to
> manually override the change depth for your deco cylinders.
>
>> > The other obvious thing in the attached screenshot, but I think this
>> > one is known, is that the gas pressure graph does not drop over the
>> > dive, despite having set my SAC, and cylinder size.
>>
>> It should. I'll have to look into that.
>
> This was an embarrassing typo. I'll push the fix in a minute.
>
> Thanks for catching this!

Glad I can help