latest changes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 4 13:52:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 05:07:31PM -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> roberto,
>
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM, roberto forini <forini.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jeans that if you are planning a deep dive and after that you try to change
> > the type of the cylinders, subsurface seems to hang even opening the
> > dropdown menu ... after a while the menu is shown and you can click on the
> > desired cylinder. Then it takes a lot to select and close the drop down menu
> > and to fill the pressure fields.
> > Hope is much clear now sorry :(
>
> Me and dirk were trying to find the cause of the lag today, we found something,
> now he's trying to fix it. :)

So first I applied to patches that have been around for a long time but
that I never applied, waiting for more analysis (and then forgot about).
They change the way we do TTS/NDL calculation to be somewhat more coarse
but quite a bit faster.

And then I made a change that simply measure how long all of this takes us
- and if it is more than a second, I force TTS/NDL off.

If enough people complain we could make that behavior optional, but for
now I think it's the reasonable thing to do. People might play with the
toolbox buttons to see what they do and not realize that they turned this
on, and then dealing with deep and long dives they think that Subsurface
is hung. I was able to easily create dives where it took us more than a
minute to calculate TTS/NDL.

This was all pushed. Now to me cylinder changes and everything else is
nice and fast again.

If you still run into issues, please report back :-)