What's missing for 4.2?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 9 07:23:26 PDT 2014

Tomaz,

you stole my email subject I had planned for this morning :-)

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 10:06:10AM -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> In just a few weeks we'v managed to have:
>
> - html export
> - much improved dive add
> - triumphal return of the planner ( and if I may say, the best planner
> in existence )
> - better picture support for the dives ( this adds an inconsistency on
> the old file system, I think I'll have to add code to remove that
> inconsistency... )

Yes, we need to detect the existing event based picture entries and
correctly and safely convert them to our new structure. That shouldn't be
hard to add.

> What you guys think is missing ?

There are lots of little things that are still annoying. This is where you
would benefit from actually using Subsurface - do you wear the Mosquito
when you dive / download the dives afterwards?

It's small things. For example when adding pictues to a dive, at least on
Linux/KDE it appears that that a single click on an image file already
selects that file and closes the dialog. I need to kinda drag one file,
then I can shift click to select multiple images. I'm sure that's just a
file dialog option somewhere, but it needs to be fixed.

The export to HTML file dialog is wrong. It's a save file dialog, but it
needs to be a pick directory dialog that allows you to designate / create
a new directory.

I seem to remember that there were a couple of small issues with the
planner still (but may Robert has already fixed them all).

Dive edit needs to allow to enter the max depth and dive duration
precisely (not in minute increments) in a text based way. And reflect
those in the graph. And deal with disagreement (i.e., you enter a duration
of 25 minutes, but then try to drag one of the handles so far to the right
that the dive would be longer).

We still cannot re-edit manually entered or planned dives. That's a HUGE
gap as far as I'm concerned.

If you go through trac there are a few more bugs listed.

Having said all that, I will be traveling with my family for almost two
weeks starting next Saturday. I should have email most days but won't have
much (or any) time to do development work. So that would be an ideal time
to focus on testing and getting things ready for a release.

So my vision would be:
- finish the missing pieces over the next three weeks - how hard is it to
  re-enable the feature where you can edit a manually entered / planned
  dive?
- call a string freeze when I'm back (June 27 or so)
- aim for a release early July