What's missing for 4.2?

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Mon Jun 9 13:02:52 PDT 2014

On 09 Jun 2014, at 16:23, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

Hi,

> you stole my email subject I had planned for this morning :-)

at some point a few weeks ago, I said we would like to learn a bit more about our users. This still needs implementation.

I would propose to do the following:

1) After a few runs, maybe a few successful downloads from a dive computer we might want to ask the user to fill in a form on a web page (with options ‘yes, take me there’, ‘not now, but remind me later’ and ‘no, don’t ask again’.

2) That web form would have to be set up and some data collection backend would need to be installed. We might ask people about their diving habits (like how many dives they do per year, have done in the past, if they do deco diving, consider themselves a tec diver etc, also about their computer use, like what OSes they use, where they learned about subsurface, from where and in what form their download was, which locale they use etc and general questions, like feedback, feature requests etc. Shall we write a newsletter with each new release?

3) Subsurface might also collect some data (number of dives, average depth, max depth, max time, average time, gases used, more than one cylinder used, planner used, # images used, OS, locale you name it. Then in the above question/alert where we ask the user to provide feedback, we would display that information in a text field and ask the user, if they felt like to cut and paste that data into the web form as well (possibly edited). This way, the user has full control over the data we gather.

What do you think? Who would like to implement one of these points?

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de