What's missing for 4.2?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 11 12:26:40 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 03:53:29PM -0300, Rodrigo Severo wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>

> > Which brings me back to another one of my pet projects. Create a self
> > contained Linux install that uses libraries that I ship with the package
> > and runs on any Linux distro - screw the packaging rules and other
> > constraints that the distro wants to put on me.
>
> And here we see Dirk in his worst behaviour. Kids, don't repeat this at
> home.

Oh no, not at all. This is not even close to my worst behavior.
This is actually one of my pet peaves with Linux - not Linux the kernel,
but Linux the eco system.

The idiotic distributions, run by people who can't see the forest for the
trees.

Why is Android the only successful Linux on the client? It has an appstore
and things "just work".
Why does Linus say that "Steam OS" is maybe the best hope for Linux on the
Desktop? Because it solves the app issue.

The #1 reason why Linux has failed to have any success whatsoever on the
client (desktop and laptop) is that it is absolutely impossible to package
and ship an application that will work on people's PCs.
The standard answer from the open source zealots? Ship sources. Sure, I do
that - but then how do people get the dependencies and heck, WTF, why
should Joe User know how to build an app?
Oh, and the distributions will just include my app. Yeah, sure, months and
months after we do a release. And enforcing their silly packaging rules on
us (like not allowing us to statically link against libdivecomputer, or
forcing people to install 150MB of Marble just because we want the
library, and of course not allowing us to modify that library to remove
the things we don't want).

It is very straight forward for me to create Windows and Mac binaries that
run on ALL Windows and Mac machines sold in the past 6-8 years. It is
utterly impossible to create a Linux binary that runs on even 10% of the
Linux boxes sold in the past 2 years.

OK, off my soap box, back to solving more pressing issues.