deepest, shallowest, average

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Wed Jun 11 14:29:32 PDT 2014

On 11 Jun 2014, at 20:15, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:

Hi,

> I guess if somebody really wants to visualize an informative
> statement on "How deep do I usually dive?" then a histogram
> would be the best way to do it:
> "Depth" on the X-Axis, "Total time spent in that depth" on the
> Y-Axis, and then 20-or-so bars reaching up from the X-Axis.

one could make that even better defined (in the sense of: upon any ascent or descent I only spend an infinitesimal amount of time at each depth. So one would need to introduce some binning like “in depths between x and x+2m” and the result would depend on the binning) one you use the integral, i.e. plot

“Total time spent at depths deeper than x” which is independent of binning and finite.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de