What's missing for 4.2?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 12 09:50:40 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 05:32:35PM +0100, Tim Wootton wrote:
> On 11/06/14 20:26, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Oh, and the distributions will just include my app. Yeah, sure, months
> > and months after we do a release. And enforcing their silly packaging
> > rules on us (like not allowing us to statically link against
> > libdivecomputer,
>
> Or we could provide our own subsurface package for the more common
> distros which people could download from the subsurface website the way
> Windows and Mac users have to. No need to wait for adoption by the
> distro. Retain control of how and what to link. Release with the
> subsurface release schedule. Could even host subsurface package repos
> for .deb .rpm etc. so users can use the distro's package manager to tell
> them when updates are available.

Yes, I started down that road. It's a MAJOR pain in the a$$. There are so
many different distros that all need different formats. And you still have
to deal with the whole "which version of libmarble is installed" problem.
Unless those packages are self contained (i.e., contain all the
dependencies), in which case I might as well make a distro independent tar
file (as I hope to do).

> I'm happy to have a go at  packaging for the debian stable and testing
> distros if there's interest.

You are more than welcome to do so. Last I checked Subsurface doesn't even
compile on Debian stable right now as their libgit2 is too old...