What's missing for 4.2?

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 12 10:02:07 PDT 2014

[2014-06-11 11:42:47 -0700] Dirk Hohndel:
> Which sent me on another trip down "I will remove all the CRUD from Marble
> that we never use (and never WANT to use) but still ship".
> I hear rumors that Qt might build its own globe eventually. If that is
> true, I sure hope that it is extremely modular and allows you to only ship
> and enable the parts that you really want.
>
> In the meantime I am creating a massive set of "gut this shi*t" patches
> that are applied to the Windows and Mac version of libmarble that we ship
> with our binaries :-)
>
> I will also make those available for the people who'd prefer to run a
> smaller and saner version of libmarble with their Linux builds. As usual,
> everyone else but hard core developers on Linux are screwed.

Is it "just" the KDE dependency you would like to get rid of?

In Arch Linux, you may build a fully ABI-compatible marble package
without KDE, resulting in a 33 MB package, with which the subsurface
package from [community] runs seamlessly. Here's mine:

	http://arch.vesath.org/all/marble-4.13.1-1.src.tar.gz

(The AUR package of the same name would be fine too if it weren't
out-of-date.)

Are there other things you'd like to improve in kdeedu-marble? I could
try to bring those improvements to our official package.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan