user survey

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jun 13 15:11:31 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 02:47:18PM -0700, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 06/13/2014 02:11 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > I just pushed a small commit that creates a really ugly user survey dialog.
> >
> > Some things are implemented. In a tagged build (i.e., a release) the user
> > will be asked seven (or more) days after they first used Subsurface. In a
> > development build (version contains a '-') the user is asked the second
> > time they start Subsurface.
> >
> > If the user cancels the dialog, they are asked if we should ask again or
> > just go away.
> >
> > Besides that there's very little there.
> > - we do nothing with the answers to the questions
> > - we don't populate the system description block (waiting for joshwambua)
> > - we don't submit anything to our server
> > - we don't have a backend to submit things into
> >
> > Why did I push this the day before leaving on my trip? We need to figure
> > out what we really want to ask in that survey - which data is relevant and
> > interesting for us? So this gives us time for some conversation.
> > Oh, and maybe someone else will finish the implementation :-)
>
> I'm assuming this fails gracefully if there is not internet connectivity?

It totally does. :-)

Mostly because it doesn't even attempt to open a connection to the server
at this point. If you say "Save" it simply records that you have submitted
the survey and goes away. It doesn't even bother to read the state of the
checkboxes. As I said above, this is intended as a conversation starter.
It seemed silly to read out all the checkboxes if this is all likely to
change, anyway.