[ GSoC Progress ] Android Divecomputer Downloader

Venkatesh Shukla venkatesh.shukla.eee11 at iitbhu.ac.in
Mon Jun 16 01:01:02 PDT 2014

Hello

I have been successful in extracting the dive data from dive computer on
Android for the first time. This was possible after heavily tweaking
libusb, libftdi and libdivecomputer in order to get required permissions on
android and using them, to create a libusb_device and extract data from the
divecomputer. This proves that it is actually possible to download
divecomputer data on android. The proof of concept application can be
viewed here : https://github.com/venkateshshukla/dc_import_android

Now, the real task is to be done, creating the framework for import of
dives that can be utilized by subsurface. As is glance's suggestion, I must
first try to assemble it with subsurface-android. This would help in
testing if my framework works. After this has been done, we can move
forward to making a touch friendly U of subsurface for android.

For this task of assembling the android dive downloader with
subsurface-android, I have the following things in mind.
As the entire codebase of subsurface and libdivecomputer is in C, the
framework should be consistent with this. In order to achieve the same
output in C that I have in java in dc_import_android project above, java
native interface is to be used. I have spent last 3 days in gaining a
little understanding of this topic. I have migrated major amount of java
code in C. But the thing remains that some Java is necessary in the present
implementation.
To get over the above limitation, I will try to use NativeActivity provided
by android.
The overall plan is to make libdivecomputer useful in android. If this
succeeds, then the tweaked libdivecomputer can directly be utilized by
subsurface-android for downloading dives.

--
Venkatesh Shukla