Dive planner UI suggestion

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 06:29:07 PDT 2014

Hi Robert,

You were faster than me :)

> On 24.06.2014, at 12:49, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Davide,
>
> I tried to use the graphical part moving points and so on but it was
> painful.
>

> does this refer to the fact that the grid/scale moves under the mouse
> pointer when you drag points? As this will be improved. Or anything else?

Yes, exactly that. I couldn't reach precisely 70m.

> You realize you can also move the waypoints in the graphical display using
> cursor keys?

Yes but it started with a default 15m dive so to reach 70m I broke my
keyboard cursor :) and anyway it's way longer than typing 70. Anyway
if someone like modifying the profile graphically, no problem at all
(see next point)

> For the sake of speed I prefer using a simple and effective data entry. BTW
> it's nice that the profile and dive plan update immeditaely as I
> enter/modify data.
>

> That's why we offer both options.

Yes of course, but right now the data entry seems to be dependent on
the graphicla part way of working.
On VPlanner and Decoplanner to plan a dive like 30'@45m you just type
"30" and "45"
Here I had to enter "45" and "2" to define the first point and then
again "45" and "28" for the second point: 30-2=28. It's a little bit
counter intuitive. Again if I move to 70m I have to change 4 data
again.
Of course patch introduced by Anton will solve this.

> #1 I don't want to insert the first point: it should automagically appear
> because in the planner preferences I set a descent rate m/Min (20m/min by
> default). It seems to me that Anton filed a patch for something like this...
>
> yes.

OK

> #2 By default I have just to insert depth and time.
> By default dive time is always comprised of descent time. Sometime you find
> the "finesse" to exclude/include it but it's unnecessary IMHO.
>
> #3 If you have to plan a mutilevel dive you can add more depth/time points.
>
> #4 for each point you define a gas mix.
>

> By default it copies the previous mix.

OK

> #5 On my build SS added all the mix it found on my dive :) Maybe I'm wrong
> but I did not understood its behavior.
> For the sake of plan speed it would be nice if SS could automagically select
> the best mix for me from a standard gas set (no flame intended: I'm a GUE
> diver). Maybe PO2 <=1.2 on the bottom and END <=30m could be an agreement or
> we could set them on a mix preferences page.
>

> The gases that it (don't call subsurface "SS", Dirk does not like that for
> obvious reasons) starts up with are the gases that are used in the dive that
> is selected when you start the planner. That is meant to allow you to "plan
> a similar dive to the one selected". If you adhere to a diving philosophy
> that has a standard set of gases you could make a dummy dive that uses those
> gases and always start planning by first selecting that dive. For the
> manually added waypoints the user is responsible to select the correct gas
> (again assuming that it is the same as the previous segment, so you only
> have to enter it once per gas change not per waypoint). In deco, gas changes
> are inserted accruing to the "Switch at" column in the gas table. That is
> pre-filled according to MOD using a (not yet user configurable) pO2 for
> deco.

Sorry for the wrong short name chosen. My apologize (also for the other email).
Now I understand: it chose a selected dive. I didn't realize it. It
seems a very clever shortcut.

> #6 I like that it choose my deco gas by default with a default switch depth.
> Maybe it's a mistake but it suggest 18m instead of 21m for EAN50.
>

> As I said, that depends on MOD (and thus pO2) or manual depth setting in the
> table. With pO2=1.6bar it wants to change gases at 22m (as that is the MOD).
> Shall we always make that multiples of 3m?

I guess yes (at least for OC and PSCR) I do not know for CCR diving.

> #7 dive plain details text box should be a table or somethig which permits a
> better formatting. BTW Decoplanner has a table but it doesn't permit to copy
> and paste nicely the plan on a email.
>

> I don't quite understand. That is a (html) table. When you cut&paste that to
> your word processor, you should be able to apply any formatting you like.

Ouch I didn't notice. I thought it was a canvas because If you look at
one of my screenshots you will notice that "depth" "runtime" "gas"
header appear squeezed together like a one word. Even the mix name
seems not aligned. On windows it should be  a "courier new" fixed
space font but the "(" has a different alignment than E of EAN.
Maybe some margin and font size will improve it a lot.

> #8 on the dive plain it would be nice having a total deco time with
> indication of deepest deco stop.
>
> You mean subtract the time of the last manually entered waypoint from the
> total run time and explicitly state the depth of the first computed stop?
> The first I can understand but why would one one the second?

Decoplanner report the first deco stop in lower part of my screenshots
along with deco time. Maybe they came from algo calculations?

Of course, it's really a good and hard work.
My thoughts are just end user feedback.
Here in Rome we will say:

Daje! (http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1688130)

Best