GSoC project idea - CMake based build system for Subsurface and libdivecomputer

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 12:39:49 PST 2014

On 1 March 2014 22:06, Sewwandi Wijayaratna
<sewwandi.wijayaratna at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> It seems building Subsurface on Windows requires some considerable effort.
> So I think it would be useful if we have a single build system which will
> support larger number of  UNIX platforms and Windows.
>
> Do you think writing a CMake based build system for Subsurface is a good
> idea ? Do you accept it as a possible gsoc idea for 2014 ? In that case I
> would like to write a proposal for it. Please let me know your comments on
> this.

the problems on Windows emit mainly from the lack of a common package
manager (obtaining libxml2-dev etc..) and a bogus pkg-config binaries.
if CMake can solve these problems that won't be a bad idea, but i
doubt it will.

on the other hand the project already depends on Qt and qmake has the
same portability as a build system. technically the native Windows
build *does* use qmake the same way it's used on Unix based OS.

lubomir