GSoC project idea - CMake based build system for Subsurface and libdivecomputer

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Mar 1 12:40:14 PST 2014

On Sat, 2014-03-01 at 15:06 -0500, Sewwandi Wijayaratna wrote:
> hello,
>

> It seems building Subsurface on Windows requires some considerable
> effort. So I think it would be useful if we have a single build system
> which will support larger number of  UNIX platforms and Windows.

But why would anyone WANT to build under Windows? It's a terrible
platform for software development. Cross-building for Windows under
Linux is straight forward and gets us an installable .exe for the end
users who are indeed running Windows. And native builds on Mac and Linux
are very easy and convenient.

> Do you think writing a CMake based build system for Subsurface is a
> good idea ? Do you accept it as a possible gsoc idea for 2014 ? In
> that case I would like to write a proposal for it. Please let me know
> your comments on this.

No, I don't think that's a good idea at all.
I absolutely hate CMake. Every time I am forced to mess with it
(libmarble and I guess soon libgit2) I hate it more.

So thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested.