Subsurface on Android and desktop

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Mar 3 22:06:11 PST 2014

The new developments about getting Subsurface running on Android is
exciting. However, this brings the need to, at this stage already, have
a vision for how the portable (=Android) and desktop-based versions will
interact. The most important issue is how a diver will share his/her
dive information  between the two systems. An Internet-based mechanism?
Does one want to duplicate Develogs.de? Enter into a long term
collaboration with Divelogs.de? Will there be web-based support for
storing one's own private dive data on one one's own web location? Will
it imply live/automatic update of dive log information from the Web?
Non-web based log file transfer from desktop to portable versions with
the master database on the desktop? Log file upload from Android to
master database on another machine [if  a phone is closer to the diver
at the dive site]? Android-and-desktop access will put Subsurface at a
different level compared to other similar software. I think my point is
that if one starts to develop an Android version, then we also need to
think about the development of an Internet-based (i.e. at least an
IP-based, if not web-based) mechanism for data exchange for the same
diver who has different pieces of equipment.
Kind regards,
willemf