Technical discussion on VPM

Gopichand Paturi gopichandpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:50:29 PST 2014

Hi Robert(atdotde),

Well I would like to tell you my progress.
First thing first let me tell you what I am familiarizing with.

I am now first familiarizing myself with the "science part of decompression"

My plan is that I will complete science part and later I want to involve
myself in Math part of it(with your help). Lastly I will familiarize deco.c
code for bulhmann to get a grip of the problem.

I familiarized myself with the following since last few days
1. I learnt about the problems involved in diving.

2. Came to know the role of pressure in diving. The way ambient pressures
            operate,in the water and their effect on lungs.

3. I went through Henry's law, later learnt about units involved in the
calculations       in dealing with partial pressures like ATA  etc.

4. I came to know about Oxygen problems like Hypoxia,Oxygen Toxicity,CNS
and     Nitrogen's narcosis. By this I meant I also learnt why and when
they occur.

5. I involved myself for quite sometime in Decompression sickness and
               Decompression...And how to avoid it like planned ascent etc.

6. I also came across gas mixtures involved in decompression like
                Trimix ,Heliox, Nitrox.

7. Also I came across microbubbles,bubbles ...how & why they expand in the
          solution of blood etc.

Currently I am going through Bulhmann Algorithm....which hopefully I would
complete in a day or two.

Well I am not clear about one thing ...Is it past patterns and experiences
that drive decompression algorithms...or do we have explicit theory that
involves perfect calcualtions to form the decompression tables?

 As far I see it, it was stated that decompression sickness need not always
happen. So patterns must be a driving force assess the problem.

Because as I read various sites and blogs I felt some missing clarity on
that part.
Let me know your feedback and suggestions for my progress.

Cheers,
Gopichand.