RFC: Initial git save format

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Mar 6 16:47:10 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> So what about 'trip membership' - is the location in the tree relevant
> for that?

Yes, it would nest like the XML thing nests (ie one level only), but
would be the only actual nesting.

And from an implementation standpoint, that would be a "within a trip
directory" thing, so it wouldn't actually matter whether you had

   2014/03/trip001/divefile

or

   trip001/2014/03/divefile

because both would literally end up being the same thing of "as we
traverse the directory tree recursively, and find a trip directory,
anything we find under that directory is in that trip".

Part of this is simply because it's simple to do, but the major thing
is that I do want to retain the only actual advantage the XML files
ever had: flexible format. We haven't changed the xml files much
lately, but we were very good at parsing xml flexibly and being able
to add fields etc. I don't want to lose that by having an overly fixed
file directory structure.

           Linus