RFC: Initial git save format

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Mar 7 13:03:55 PST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Robert C. Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> I hope you mean something like ~/.subsurface or even ~/.subsurfacerc . At least for me ~/subsurface is already a git repository and is my subsurface working directory (containing the source).

I actually did mean "~/subsurface".

We already treat that directory specially, and look up the "$USER.xml"
file there by default.

That said, I agree that it's likely a bad idea. In your case, if you
ever do "git clean", for example, that will remove your xml file.

> You realise that some people already are dealing in a way with “network syncing part” without git:

That's fine. You can continue to do that, you'd just use "export as
xml" instead. Or, if the special subsurface user branch never gets
created, the git logic would never trigger anyway by default - even if
it's a git repository.

         Linus