VPM Technical Discussion

Gopichand Paturi gopichandpaturi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:27:52 PST 2014

Hi Robert (atdotde),

I have been waiting for you on IRC to let you know my progress.
Well, As I go through VPM, I'm developing keen interest to implement it,
given the background of deco algorithm that you implemented.

I have gone through the permeability and other related concepts of surface
tension very recently, as you discussed with me on irc.

Also, As far I see it, VPM is critically about the handling of bubbles in
each compartment. I'm yet to know more detailed description of some
constants like Regeneration time and 'S'(Skin constant). Let me know your
idea,how to get these values for a specific bubble in a compartment.

I found out after detailed study on VPM is that handling the No Bubble
Growth equation is critical step in the implementation of VPM.
Especially finding the radius of bubble is most important for finding
supersaturated state.

Please let me know your ideas on how to implement this algorithm, since I
am extremely passionate to work on this task.
I understand that you are trying to give more emphasis on Mathematical
models and theory behind this. I'm interested to learn the same way.

I have plans to put proper documentation and complete explanation of these
algorithms into place in subsurface also as part of implementing it.
(I will mention this in GSOC application)

Because doing so, I strongly believe would help extending it to new
algorithms like RGBM etc, which helps subsurface in the future (I'm
interested to work on the same after this summer).

I also want to know how to maintain the track of continous compression
details of bubble during descent.
As this is a continous function depending on Pa-PTC. I want to know how to
implement these type of values.

Do you actually trigger the above actions by your code running a continous
loop checking for changes in the descent/ascent depth for a  constant time
interval?
This is my idea, let me know if there is any better idea in practice.

Or Is it that we are not implementing a dive planner.So running this
algorithm on predefined depths and changes would be far easier(i feel) .

Please guide me through as application process is very close. I'm
interested to work with you.
Let me know your valuable feedback and suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,
Gopichand.