Need guidance for Android divecomputer downloader

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Mar 9 08:20:00 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 06:44 +0530, Harshit Gupta B.Tech., Electrical,
IT-BHU, Varanasi (INDIA) wrote:
> I need some guidance from where I can study about how the desktop
> application works or atleast give me the links , so that I can
> understand the code and try to implement it on Android. I asked this
> question on IRC too but none of the mentors were there at that time.

Sorry, many of us occasional try to have a life that does not include
staring at a computer screen. I have spent most of the weekend so far
with my daughters which I found quite enjoyable. Anton (glance) is doing
even better - he is heading for a dive trip. Many of the contributors
aren't divers (Lubomir and Tomaz are the two most prolific non-divers
(or almost non-divers... Tomaz is certified but hasn't exactly been
diving much) here and they are the number 3 and 4 contributors). But
many are divers (including Linux and myself) and as often as we can get
away with we disappear on dive trips... in mid May I will be on a boat
for a week and I can more or less promise to be absent and if I end up
mentoring a student, they will have to make do :-)

So please don't get into the habit of expecting someone to be available
24x7 to answer your questions. Show some creativity and look for answers
instead of hoping that people will point you in the right direction.

Look at the sources. Just the filenames.

There are

qt-ui/downloadfromdivecomputer.cpp
libdivecomputer.c

both have the word 'divecomputer' in their filename. You think that's a
good starting point to look?

The first file is in the qt-ui folder so it might be a reasonable first
guess that this is the user interface.
The second one is written in C which usually means it's part of our core
logic files. Once you read through that a little you will see that it
keeps calling into library functions - those are provided by
libdivecomputer (and I admit, this could be briefly confusing, given the
filename). You can learn about libdivecomputer at
http://libdivecomputer.org

Once you've done a bit of research and have specific questions
(especially given the oddities of how a serial interface would have to
be implemented in Android), you are more than welcome to ask these
questions here and I'm sure will get good answers (keeping time zones in
mind, and the fact that many of the other developers have families and
jobs and kids...)