VPM Overview

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Tue Mar 11 07:17:29 PDT 2014

On 10.03.2014, at 08:41, Gopichand Paturi <gopichandpaturi at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> This is my brief understanding of the VPM

I guess you are here summarizing the webpage you were referring to on deepocean.net.

I have read that page now. I still do have a number of questions:

1) Do you have any idea where their eq. (18a) comes from? It even seems wrong unit wise all terms but the last being of unit pressure while the last is has units of pressure^4).

2) I don’t see how you get (19) from the others but maybe I have not tried hard enough.

I completely don’t get the section on “mechanical equilibrium, but partly because I don’t even understand the symbols, single \partial’s don’t make sense to me. But my impression it is just the derivative of the previous section (as in work vs force).

The whole point of “number of bubbles” and “total volume” seem bogus to me (these being extensive quantitates while all the rest is about intensive quantities. Plus the fact that the initial distribution f(r ) is not really know. But maybe this does’t matter as the condition could be reformulated in terms of the minimal radius of bubbles that will eventually grow.

I have more to say about the later parts of that web page (from “applying VPM to diving”). But have to rush now.

Other things to do: Do you have the python code running as well as the fortran (or translated to C) code? Do they indeed give the same schedules? Have you identified the key equations from the webpage in the python code?

For a start, we should ignore trimix (N2+O2 should be enough for now) as well as repetitive diving.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F