4.1 planning

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Mar 12 07:50:54 PDT 2014

As I mentioned in January, I really wanted to switch to a time based
model for releases. Clearly that did NOT happen. A maintainer can
dream...

That said, I still want to get a 4.1 version taken care of relatively
soon, preferably by early April.

Can I ask if anyone has features that they are working on and that
should get in before 4.1?

What I know of right now:

- new profile still needs more TLC - it's mostly details, but I want to
make sure that this is not perceived as a step back by our users.

- modal dialogs - I ignored these changes yesterday as I was still
feeling rather sick. I'll try to think this through today and come up
with a plan

- git load/save - this will be disabled in 4.1. We should continue to
work on it, but I really think that we need to spend more time on the
user impact, on failure modes, on UI questions, etc.

- documentation - Willem is way ahead compared to any other time of
preparing for a release. But he needs a chance to do screen shots, etc.

- translations - the usual dance. Bug fixing will cause string changes,
but we need to get started on the translations or this will be the
critical path at the end.

Here are my requests:

- if you are working on anything that causes UI changes or string
changes, please respond and let the rest of us know. I would like to
freeze the UI and strings in two weeks at the very latest.

- if you are an experienced user, please test, test, test, test. I know
that some of you are very good at working through all the different
flows and menus and test dives and different scenarios. Play with the
buttons on the toolbar. Preferences.

- everyone, especially GSoC students: read the documentation and provide
feedback to Willem

- translators - I'll push the latest strings in a couple of hours and
then you could get started

What am I missing?