Few bugs and a feature req from testing Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 13 20:48:16 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 18:26 -0600, Miika Turkia wrote:
> > As always, it's complicated. For Suunto divecomputers we should have
> > exactly the gas change events that the computer sends to us. On multi
> > gas capable Suuntos you ALWAYS start with the first gas, so there's no
> > change necessary.
> >
> > On some other dive computers you can start with a different gas. And
> > depending on how the DC works, some times we end up encoding that
> > information with an artificial gas change event at the very start of the
> > dive.
> >
> > I literally would have to read through the code why this event suddenly
> > shows up. Is it possible that you had the Vyper Air set for EAN32 and
> > the Stinger for Air? That might confuse things...
>
> that is exactly how the DCs were "configured" as the stinger reset itself to air as setting the mix was done over 2 hours before the dive.

I still haven't found the time to read the code in detail, but here's my
guess what's happening.

You downloaded from the first DC. Gas is EAN32. Download from the second
DC. Since Subsurface wants to start with the first gas and the first gas
is EAN32, when the DC reports air Subsurface decides to insert a gas
change event.

I wonder what would be the BEST thing to do in this case. Maybe alert
the user of the discrepancy and ask them to pick the correct gas? I
don't know