Regarding gsoc project proposal (vpm, qt)

Lakshman acrlakshman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 08:25:32 PDT 2014

Hello Robert,

I am an aspirant of gsoc 2014. Coming from a background of numerical
methods, not much software experience though, I couldn't come up with
new ideas to make subsurface a better place for users. GSoC idea list
page came to rescue at this moment, and realized two suggestions, that
I feel I could aspire to contribute. "Implementing physics based deco
model (vpm) and connecting it to dive planner for displaying deco stop
calculations."

Since I joined the game relatively late, it took me about a week to
submit 2 patches and go through the already discussed vpm related
material. However I didn't go through the implemented deco algorithm
(using gradient factors), yet. It would be helpful if you can help me
with some feed back or suggestions, so that I can be at par with the
group that studies and implements deco algorithms into subsurface, and
aspire to be part of that group as well as in preparing a valid
proposal?.

Regarding sample implementation in FORTRAN, as pointed in idea list
page, I think you were mentioning about source code made public by
Erik Baker, which I tried to find it through this page
(http://www.decompression.org/maiken/VPM/Links.htm), and realized the
link is broken, would be grateful for any help in this regard. Apart
from that, I found a sourcecode at https://github.com/bwaite/vpmb, may
I know whether this is a good starting point?

Thank you,
Lakshman