Few bugs and a feature req from testing Subsurface

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sat Mar 15 13:07:09 PDT 2014

On 15 Mar 2014, at 20:26, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

Good evening gentlemen,

>> In other words, "gas change" is a bit of a misnomer. It's a "cylinder
>> index change". It's just that we call it gas change, because that's
>> what it means in normal situations.
>>
>> Anyway, what we probably *should* do (after the two bugs above get
>> sorted out) is likely to say that when you delete a cylinder, you
>> delete all gas change events associated with it too. That would give
>> us a way to fix up the above issue by the user just saying "I really
>> only had the first cylinder, so delete that bogus second cylinder",
>> and everything would work out right. But right now, deleting that
>> second cylinder has bigger problems than "the gas change event
>> remains".
>
> I like this. When I understood what caused the odd situation Miika was
> seeing I was wondering what to do about it after the fact. This seems
> like a clean solution.

I think what Linus points out is quite important: It is quite unfortunate that we treat “gas change” to be equivalent to “cylinder index change”. We already had complaints from people who wanted to have several cylinders containing the same gas on a dive (be it two stage cylinders or side-mount divers) and we told them to make them have slightly different gases for subsurface.

In Miika’s case here, deleting cylinder change events when deleting one of several identical cylinders is the right thing. But if a gas change is really a gas change (most likely to a deco gas) then removing that event upon removing the cylinder sounds wrong to me: The cylinder can easily be manually reinserted but the location of the event was only known to the dive computer and pretending that the deco was done on a different gas also completely invalidates the deco calculation. So removing the events in that case sounds wrong to me.

Just my $.02.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de