Feedback, features requests, suggestions

Marcin Małecki marcin at maleccy.net
Sat Mar 22 08:21:58 PDT 2014

Hi

I am a new diver and also new to Subsurface. Have been using the
application for about 2 months.

There are several comments and suggestion I would like to make:

1) It would be useful if User ID from the GPS android web service could
be kept in the xml file. This is because if you use various computers or
reinstall operating system to have to look for an email which contained
the ID. If it is stored in the xml file you do in once and for all.

2) Yearly statistics. First of all yearly is an arbitrary division which
serves only limited purpose. Simply having statistics would probably be
better - those could but would not have to be divided into years.
Generally sorting by depth or air consumption would be nice to have.
Although since you can see this in all dives list it would be a
duplication.

3) Tags - currently they look like work in progress. I am sure it was
suggested before that having tags could enable one to say list all dives
with a tag "boat" or "pike". This could potentially be added to Dive
list view where you could add column called "custom tag" with custom
being drop-down box of all used tags.

4) Visibility - in here you have take approach which enables one to
select number of stars. Alternatively you could enable one to assign a
value say 5m. While starts remain subjective numerical values are not.
Say good visibility at Wraysbury lake in the UK would be 5m with
excellent being 7m average of 3m and bad being 1m. So if there is a day
that I get 5m I should mark it as good (4 stars) but the same visibility
at tropical sea would be terrible (1 start). This to me makes the whole
idea of starts fairly useless. This probably is a design decision and I
am probably only bringing back topic already discussed - if this is the
case apologies.

5) Colouring of profile. I use Suunto Helo2 but I also noticed the same
situation with Suunto D9 used in the video on the website. I mean the
fact that Suunto stops depth recording at 1.2m this means that the final
part of all dive profiles is red. Even if your ascent was smooth it
shows red ending to the graph. I think it would be good idea to use the
same colour of the line immediately proceeding section of the line when
no data is available for the final 2m or so.

6) Average depth. I do not see any point in this line on my dive
profile. It would be good if I could switch it off as it does not
provide any meaningful information.

7) Location of the dive obtained from the web service can not be changed
from the application. In other words if I misspell name of the dive site
on my phone and upload it then download it to the application it remains
fixed. I tried to changed it in the application but after save it
reverts to the original name. I need to go directly to the xml file to
change it.

8) In the equipment tab you only have cylinder, weight and indirectly
exposure suit. It would be a good idea to have more extended equipment
choices. Where you could list all your equipment and match particular
piece of equipment with particular dives. I was considering this in
terms of servicing requirements for example you normally service your
regulator every 50-100 dives depending on make and model. If I could
easily check which dives have I done with particular regulator then I
could forget about it - simply check once a month to see if I reached
servicing threshold. Situation is fairly similar with trip planing. If I
go on a trip I might want to select what gear do I take in advance so
having an "equipment module" in the application I could pick a list of
equipment and print it out then tick it off when I pack on outwards and
return journeys to make sure I take and bring back all my stuff. To take
this idea even further you could add weight of all pieces of equipment.
Then you could pick optimal equipment to take full advantage of baggage
allowance on a flight or fine tune your buoyancy.

Hope this helps!

I really like the software. It is only because of your application I
dropped paper based logging.

I wish I could buy a tshirt with Subsurface logo :)

Regards
--
Marcin Tomasz Małecki
Linux user #459629