Dive data import error with Hollis DG03

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 01:01:21 PDT 2014

On 24 March 2014 10:48, Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> wrote:

>> On 24 March 2014 05:30, Jef Driesen <jef at libdivecomputer.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This sounds very similar to the ftdi latency problem that was reported
>>> recently on the libdivecomputer mailinglist [1]. Can you check the
>>> latency

Yes, reading through that email thread, it looks like a very similar
issue to what Hamish was/is experiencing, with a similar dive
computer. Hollis and Oceanic are essentially the same company, and
many of their products are pretty much the same, with a different
badge - this isn't limited to dive computers.

My cable also has three pins.

The dive computer tells me its battery is fine

I haven't booted it for quite a while, but Windows (Vista) is also
installed on this laptop. I can test dive computer communication there
if that'll help work out this issue.

> The low_latency flag is set by default, which forces it to 1, always.
>
> setserial /dev/ttyUSB0 ^low_latency
>
> to disable it. Then you can modify the latency_timer entry.

When I ran the setserial command, the latency_timer value was
automatically set to 16 - I didn't have to change it manually.
Subsurface successfully downloaded my last 64 dives. Unfortunately the
setting isn't persistent - when I remove and replace the cable, I have
to run setserial again.

> Can you also try to run libdivecomputer's universal test application. You
> can download it here:
>
> http://www.libdivecomputer.org/builds/linux/universal
>
> Run with these options:
>
> ./universal -v -l atom2.log -m atom2.bin -b atom2 /dev/ttyUSB0

I ran universal as requested, and here is the output. I'm guessing it
means more to you than it does to me. I tried running it both with and
without the setserial ^low_latency command, and the output is the
same.

rick at elmo ~/Downloads $ chmod 755 universal
rick at elmo ~/Downloads $ ./universal -v -l atom2.log -m atom2.bin -b
atom2 /dev/ttyUSB0
DATETIME 2014-03-24T07:27:35Z (1395646055)
VERSION 0.5.0-devel (fa90009c293a9ca1a4eaf49a478b381477695c0a)
Opening the device (Oceanic Atom 1.0, /dev/ttyUSB0).
INFO: Open: name=/dev/ttyUSB0
INFO: Configure: baudrate=38400, databits=8, parity=0, stopbits=1, flowcontrol=0
INFO: Timeout: value=3000
INFO: Sleep: value=100
INFO: Flush: queue=3, input=1, output=0
INFO: Write: size=2, data=8400
INFO: Read: size=0, data=
ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in
../../source/src/oceanic_atom2.c:332 (oceanic_atom2_send)]
INFO: Sleep: value=100
INFO: Flush: queue=1, input=0, output=0
INFO: Write: size=2, data=8400
INFO: Read: size=0, data=
ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in
../../source/src/oceanic_atom2.c:332 (oceanic_atom2_send)]
INFO: Sleep: value=100
INFO: Flush: queue=1, input=0, output=0
INFO: Write: size=2, data=8400
INFO: Read: size=0, data=
ERROR: Failed to receive the answer. [in
../../source/src/oceanic_atom2.c:332 (oceanic_atom2_send)]
../../source/examples/universal.c:681: Error opening device.
Result: Timeout