Qt5 on subsurface-android

Martin Gysel me at bearsh.org
Tue Mar 25 01:10:23 PDT 2014

Am 25.03.2014 06:46, schrieb Venkatesh Shukla IIT BHU:
> On the other hand, the user interface is ugly and functionally useless.
> In the present condition, it cannot be used for mobile devices. Having a
> single code base for both environments fail as the UI elements would
> need to be changed to adapt to mobile environment. Also, it may inhibit
> other android developers ,who are comfortable in Java and xml, and don't
> know Qt.

it is only 'ugly and functionally useless' because it is the very same
code running on android and the desktop platforms. it has nothing to do
with c/c++ and qt. as far as I know the android 'port' was only
something like a proof of concept hack by glance to show it is possible
to do but I doubt anybody would release a desktop UI on a mobile platform.

> 1. Have the UI made in Java and Xml. As far as I know, all the UI
> elements used in present Subsurface can be migrated to android.
> 2. The underlying core functions of subsurface will remain in C/C++. As
> Dirk as said, there is no chance of shifting the code base to another
> language, for instance Java.
> 3. Assembling the two systems by using JNI interface provided by the
> Android Native Development Kit.

you can do the same with qt, create a UI which feels native on android
using qml (the same or very similar code should also work on ios), then
you can directly use the qt models which are already present and used by
the desktop application.

/martin