Handling of cylinder pressure data within a dive.

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu May 1 10:07:17 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, the existing sample structure can therefore
> handle multiple cylinders, even if two of them discharge simultaneously.

Well, in theory, and in a limited way (you'd have to have the
pressures in alternating samples). In practice, we really suck at it,
and cannot draw the end result of true concurrent cases sanely anyway.

So you understand everything correctly, but to _really_ support
multiple different samples we would need to do lots of work. Including
to the profile drawing, but I really think we should change the whole
sample representation too. I don't quite know exactly what _to_,
though. The "cylinder index and sensor value" thing works reasonably
well for explicit gas changes in open circuit, but even there it isn't
perfect.

It's possible that we should make the whole pressure thing an array,
instead of a index/value pair. Or some linked list.

           Linus