RFC: phone home

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Thu May 1 10:56:52 PDT 2014

On 05/01/2014 01:41 PM, Robert C. Helling wrote:
> How important is printing?

It's funny that you ask, because being able to print a table of the
dives which I can use as a substitute for a manually written logbook
is the one essential feature that caused me to use any kind of dive
log software from the start.

(And in addition to a current release I keep an older Subsurface version 3
executable around that I applied local patches to fit my personal taste of
what this print out should look like.)

> Maybe we should rather do a survey on our web page and once remind our users to fill in the survey?

That sounds like the better-than-phoning-home solution to me.
Especially because I would rather consider features that people
bother to proactively ask for than counting the phonings from
occasional users that don't really care.

I think the "vote for tickets" function was a good idea when
they added it to the Mozilla bug tracker - if only they had
actually cared about those votes (instead of ignoring them and
re-designing the GUI every few months for no apparent benefit).

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg