locations and coordinates

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue May 6 08:07:39 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> If a user types in a location name that is already in the divelist and
> has GPS coordinates, then those coordinates are set for the new dive.
>
> But if a user has many dives with the same (non-empty) location name,
> and none of those dives has coordinates, then setting the coordinates
> for one of those dives... should that populate the coordinates for all
> of those dives?

I'm not 100% sure what we ended up doing in the gtk branch, but I
think we ended up deciding against that.

The fear is that a dive site name might not be unique (think "boat
dive off Maui" for when you forget what the dive site was called), and
populating old things with a new GPS may just be entirely misleading.

For example, I have a number of dives that just say "Okinawa" or
"Ambergis Caye, Belize" because I was bad at tracking dive site names.

And you can set things manually easily enough if you want to: just
sort by location, selecting them all, and then editing the dive and
setting the gps location that way.

Btw, tangentially related to that, and checking: looking at the Qt
version, that's no longer as easy as it used to be. Dives with
location information used to have a marker on them in the dive list,
now they don't. So it's not nearly as easy to select dives without gps
info as it used to be.

That marker was horrible because of how you interacted with it (click
to get map), but it was visually a good thing. Maybe we could have
something like that in the location field.

          Linus