Search or sort on buddy, etc.

Steve Ratts steveratts at gmail.com
Tue May 20 21:50:10 PDT 2014

Are you familiar with how filters work on columns of data in Excel? What if
a user could, for example, right click on a column in the list display and
have a popup which is populated with the possible choices based on the log
entries present in that column? This would be similar to the way when one
is filling out dive site, buddy, DM, etc, they are offered choices based on
what is already in the log database. By default, all the choices would be
selected, but there would be a deselect all option, and one could then
choose a set of one or more values they would like to filter on.

This would be one possible way to implement filtering on columns. It would
be helpful to also be able to configure which log parameters are selected
to be displayed as columns. For that matter it would also be useful to be
able to select which parameters to include when doing a CVS export.

Also, in the case of sorting on a column for which there are multiple
entries, e.g. Buddies, I would think the column would be sorted on the
first buddy entered for dives in which there is more than one buddy listed.
No need to make it any harder than that. If it doesn't give the result the
user desires, they may need to edit their dive log or wait for a filtering
capability.

Is this approach to ambitious? I do think it would be a useful feature.

Steve