Importing CCR data [was: CCR Testing]

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 03:57:32 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Paul Sargent <paul.lionseye at icloud.com>
wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2014, at 14:56, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Paul Sargent <paul.lionseye at icloud.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Looking at old dives I think most of my problems at the moment are
> >> really around importing.
> >>
> >>   - Importing from Shearwater Desktop via XML, all my dives are air
> dives.
> >>
> > Can you provide sample XML with clear description of what is
> missing/wrong. Well, if it is only the gas info missing, then that should
> be quite obvious without any more info…
>
> I’ve attached a gripped copy.
>

> As you can see there’s a lot of fields. Thankfully they are all named
> sensibly.
>
> Biggest ones are:
>    - fractionO2 and fractionHe.
>        These define the breathing gas on OC, and the diluent on CC.
>    - averagePPO2
>        The measured ppO2 in the breathing loop of the CCR
>    - currentCircuitSetting
>        0 = Closed Circuit
>        1 = Open Circuit
>
> Together they give enough information to know what the diver was breathing
> at any time.

Thanks, this gives me something to work on. The current Shearwater import
is indeed quite limited in this regard. And of course the whole CCR concept
was not there when I wrote the transformation.

> >>   - Importing from Shearwater Desktop via CSV isn't configurable enough.
> >
> > Is it about not enough data can be imported? Here again, a sample file
> and info on what should be fixed/implemented would be helpful. I just
> wonder how much options we can sanely have on the import dialog.
>
> Again, I’ve attached a gripped copy.
>

> The CSV import has no options for Gasses, Setpoints, OC/CC mode, ppO2
> Sensors, all of which are in this file. I agree the dialog is a limiting
> factor here. I think there is also a problem with how these concepts map
> into the Subsurface XML.
>
> Fields are named similarly to the XML.
>
> I am thinking of 3 different options for this:
1) just keep it as it is and hope that CCR divers have better import option
than the CSV
2) Implement the setpoints and other info under the hood with no
configuration options for users
3) Make a new tab for CCR import

Personally I would of course prefer something that does not include GUI
work, but overall I kinda like the third approach. At minimum, implement
another tab for the CCR import and possibly cimplify the current CSV import
for recreational divers. I just wonder if tech divers will need all the
fields in current CSV import when diving OC.

Any comments on these? Anton, what is your opinion?

> >>   - Old logs imported from my OSTC into Subsurface 3.x and brought
> >>     forward have gas change events in them, but limited information
> >>     about gasses. Only really matters when I've done OC ascents from a
> >>     CCR dive (Called 'Bailing out', done in emergencies and training).
> >>
> > I wonder if there is information missing or are the old logs incorrectly
> parsed.
>
> I’m wondering the same. I’ve attached a copy of that too (Bailout
> dive.xml) exported from subsurface. All three attachments are the same dive.

I took a look into the XML and there is only 1 cylinder present in it
(<cylinder o2='18.0%' he='46.0%' />). Thus it is no surprise there is no
info on the other gases. However, since there are the gasswitch events
available with information to which gas one has changed into, we could
recreate the cylinder information from that.

miika