MOD, EAD etc calculations for CCR

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Tue Nov 4 01:10:08 PST 2014

On 04.11.2014, at 08:45, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

Willem,

> The calculation of MOD, EAD and the like that happens in profile.c does not work for CCR because it is based on the gas mix info associated with individual cylinders. Function gas_mod in dive.h is a case in point. I was starting to mess around with these calculations to use dynamic fo2 values for each point on the dive profile (instead of fixed cylinder-specific fo2 values), but then I saw that this function is used in many places, including extensively in the planner.

I am not sure exactly what would be the meaning of MOD for a CCR given the dynamic O2 content. The only way I think this makes sense would be the MOD of the dillutant (since that sets the minimum fO2 that the CCR can deliver and that determines the depth).

Indeed, gas_mod is used in various places but only the call in profile.c is about the current gas, in all other cases the MOD of an explicit cylinder is calculated (essentially to find the max depth to switch to it). What I would probably do is to leave everything as it is and only wrap the call in profile.c with an if(dc.dctype != CCR) { and in the else clause make sure the dillutant is used.

I guess the others EAD, END and EADD should be ok the way they are since they use the info from fill_pressures which takes CCR-ness into account.

What do you think?

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F