Importing CCR data [was: CCR Testing]

Paul Sargent paul.lionseye at icloud.com
Tue Nov 4 04:24:03 PST 2014

On 3 Nov 2014, at 23:47, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:

>> (I’ve dropped off NDL, CNS, TTS, & pressure from the current list. CNS is calculable. NDL & TTS aren’t that important if you’ve got the ceiling IMHO. Pressure I assume is cylinder pressure - How many do you want? Possibly just 1, but no more)
>>

> I think those are quite interesting to look at, and to compare with what
> Subsurface calculates and what the DC reported. I use it as a sanity
> check between different DC's and Subsurface.

I’m not sure I explained myself very well. I wasn’t saying that we should lose any feature for a particular dive computer.

My thinking was that you select a CSV file, and then a box comes up asking you what format it is. It would just be a list of known schemes and one entry “Custom…”. Selecting custom takes you to the field setup (much like we already have).

Known schemes would be "black boxes" to the user, not needing any configuration. Then the complexity behind any known scheme is unlimited, and it can import any and all weird and wonderful info. Once you’ve got that, the custom field setup can be simplified because it’s no longer trying to cover EVERYTHING.

> I think we should import as much data as possible from the different
> formats. If we can find a format that contains data that we currently
> can't import, I kinda enjoy hacking on such features =)

That’s great, but that then becomes a known format. We can have an entry for it, and hide the gory details (i.e. your hacking ;o) ). They way we’re free to do crazy stuff in the code for some specific dive computer, without needing to come up with a piece of GUI to switch it on. We just add it to the list.

> Hmm... Sane defaults and hiding some of the gory details is probably the
> right way to go, but why not just put those gory details in a "advanced"
> page or something? If you open a "advanced" page and get a ridiculous
> amounts of settings, nobody will be surprised.

Do you want to design that page? I don’t want to. Sounds complicated and boring.
(i.e. The main problem is someone has to design and maintain it.)

Anyway, I’m just throwing ideas around.

Paul