ERROR: Package libgit2 not found

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Sun Nov 9 19:15:31 PST 2014

On Sunday 09 November 2014 09:43:12 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > On Nov 9, 2014, at 6:07 AM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn
> > <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com> wrote:
> >
> > Answer to myself:
> >
> > $ pkg-config --print-errors --exists libgit2
> > Package libssh2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libssh2.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > Package 'libssh2', required by 'libgit2', not found
> >
> > I needed to install package libssh2-1-dev.  Patch attached.
> > INSTALL needs to be updated too.
>
> I don’t see Subsurface requiring libssh2. A quick git grep shows no mention.
> Is it possible that this is an issue with libgit2 packaging on Debian?

It is a packaging bug. Please report this to Debian. libssh2 is a dependency
of libgit2:

$ grep libssh2 /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libgit2.pc
Requires.private:  openssl zlib libssh2
$ ldd /usr/lib64/libgit2.so | grep libssh2
        libssh2.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1 (0x00007f691c09a000)

Though it's a dependency that does not manifest itself in the libgit2 API.

Debian apparently forgot to set the dependency link. RPM-based distros will do
that automatically through pkg-config dependency tracking:

$ rpm -qRf /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libgit2.pc | grep libssh2
pkgconfig(libssh2)

I don't know if the DEB format has something similar or Debian has another
type of automation for this. If it doesn't, it needs to get one so mistakes
like this don't happen again.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358