DM5 Data structure changes

Rainer Mohr mail at divelogs.de
Sat Nov 15 06:26:31 PST 2014

Am 15.11.14 15:10, schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
> Linus has been playing with a DM5 pre-release for a while...
> My guess is that Suuntu is getting ready for the DEMA release of the EON
> Steel?

Very likely, I'd say, yes. Poor Linus, That DM5 is still such a piece of
s**t. Why would you not even let someone enter where the bloody dive
took place? Nor other fields that belong in every logbook...

> My general response to most such software is to cry. I've been playing
> with the Oceanic / Aeris dive log for a little while and it really does
> make you weep. Which reminds me, we should try and learn to decode their
> .dlg files at some point. Rainer, have you looked into that, yet?

I honestly wonder what goes on in their heads. The files are still the
same as in earlier versions (prior to version 2.2.8), but simply
encrypted...
There must be some very serious ego thing going on in the developers
heads, that they try to prevent people from reading their own damn data.
I only have one solution for now (Sven pointed me at this):

If you already use version 2.2.8, do the following:

  * Start Oceanlog and leave it open
  * Open the browse-file dialog
  * In the Explorer address Bar, enter the following path:
    "C:\Windows\System32" and hit enter
  * In the filename field, enter *.dec and hit enter
  * There you will now find a file with the same filename as your
    logbook with an additional .dec in the name
  * if you can't find the file there, try C:\Users\<Your
    Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\SysWOW64
  * Choose this file for upload

Not nice, but I have not found out how the files are encrypted, and to
be completely honest, I'm not willing to play this ego-game, so I'm not
going to waste precious time in finding out how exactly they encrypt.
Maybe a well-known Person like Linus could drop them a mail asking if
they would like to be included in the Subsurface Imports or not. They
probably wouldn't even finish reading a mail from me...

Rainer