RFC patch: store dive computer serial / firmware again

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Nov 20 14:22:16 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 01:00:25PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Add similar cases for other dive computer manufacturers as we figure
> > out exactly what the encoding actually is.
>
> And quite frankly, I'd suggest using
>
>    "%04u-%04u", serial / 10000, serial % 10000
>
> so that the end result actually matches what the recall for the Cobalt had.
>
> At *no* point does it make sense to encode it as "0xrandomnoise".
>
> Of course, the right solution would be to just do this right in
> libdivecomputer.c and have libdivecomputer just format the string
> right in the first place. Using, say, DC_STRING_FIELD.

Hey, what a brilliant idea.

Since we are currently building libdivecomputer from our private branch it
should be relatively easy to simply add this for the computers where we
know what the answer should look like. And if we "crowd source" this
across our developer community that shouldn't be too hard to do.

I'll change my code to use the string you show above and have that printed
out as debug info - then people can run this and compare it to the serial
data that is on the package / on the device. And I can simply add this to
our libdivecomputer branch (and send patches to Jef in case he decides to
use the string field solution).

Does that make sense or am I missing something else?