deviceid

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Nov 20 14:35:09 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:46:50AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Linus, this code has been around forever, I think this was a very early
> > design decision that you made:
> >
> > devdata->deviceid = calculate_sha1(devinfo->model, devinfo->firmware, serial);
> >
> > Can you remind us, why the firmware version was included in this?
>
> I didn't trust the serial number information necessarily being
> available. So it's more of a "let's try to mix in all the possible
> identifying information" than anything else.

With unintended side effects. I think we should try and move away from
this as I suggested. In a backward compatible way if at all possible.
I'll stare at this a little more and come up with a proposal.

Unless you'd volunteer to do that... we are pretty late in the Linux
release cycle... do you have a moment to look into this?

> These days, we actually *remember* the serial number string if we get
> it as a string, but of course that's only true for the EON Steel right
> now.

As discussed in the other thread, I really want to expand this to a lot
more devices than just the EON Steel :-)