serial and firmware -- please help

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Nov 21 08:40:09 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Uwatec Galileo Sol:
> Device serial number reported by Subsurface: 0xfaea5b0f
> Device serial number of dive computer: 6105832328 Firmware version 1.1

I'm not seeing the encoding pattern at all for this case. Looking at
libdivecomputer, it's just a 4-byte read of a magic command allegedly
giving the serial number.

And libdivecomputer never returns a firmware version at all (just
fills it in as zero).

And I'm not sure the libdivecomputer serial number is actually a
serial number at all. Googling around a bit, at least the firmware
update download seems to need both an actual serial number *and* a
"device ID". It's possible that the four-byte "serial number" that
libdivecomputer reports is the "device ID", and it may have little or
nothing to do with the serial number stamped on the device.

If you go to the "Device Info" screen on the dive computer, what does
it say the "Device ID" is?

See for example

    http://galileo.uwatec.com/

and you can see where to find the serial numbers and device ID's on
the box and dive computer by clicking on the question marks under it.
And judging by the fact that the serial number is stamped on the back
of the computer, while the device ID is shown on the screen, I suspect
that "device ID" is the one that is actually in the device and the one
libdivecomputer downloads.

                    Linus