Subsurface HiDPI patches and Android

Giuseppe Bilotta giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 23:10:29 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 08:55:46PM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> I built a new Subsurface-android for my phone and noted that the
> HiDPI-patches did some wonders on the usability of Subsurface on
> Android. Now it's almost usable.

Glad to hear that! I would have guessed that the influence would go
this far, considering I was explicitly targeting (my) desktop only.

> There are still a bunch of problems, but some more HiDPI-fixes and its
> almost working =)

On desktop, the main HiDPI fixes remaining concern

(1) the icons in the toolbar next to the plot, which are bitmap and
thus fixed sized, and even if I make the buttons bigger, the icons
don't scale (Qt does not scale the pixmap of toolbar icons --by choice,
apparently, unless I misunderstood something); this is relatively easy
to fix, theoretically: it would sufficie to have scalable icons (SVG),
but in practice this might be harderd than expected; I don't remember
the details, but there was something about the tools used by the
graphic artist;
(2) in the plot itself, the percentage dimensions generally work very
well, but can lead to some situations in which text becomes partially
overlapping or obscured; it would be useful to have some finer
positioning method, but I haven't been able to come up with a decent
idea about it.

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
> Some brief screen shots:
> Nexus 5:
> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KW86Rq2uICM/VG_LiwPEl9I/AAAAAAAACrg/PZqkeisx2NU/w407-h723-no/Screenshot_2014-11-22-00-21-22.png

Wow, those are some HUGE icons in the plot. Well, at least compared to
the ones in the toolbar. On the actual phone, are the cylinder icons
too large or the toolbar icons too small? (Please say it's the toolbar
icons, which would mean that fixing it on desktop would fix it on the
phone too.)

> Nexus 7:
> https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UZFgmm-23Ek/VG_Qg6NKyeI/AAAAAAAACss/GqlkZFZenp8/w1118-h699-no/Screenshot_2014-11-22-00-34-56.png

The most obvious glitch here seems to be that the stars in the dive
summary are clipped at the bottom. I wonder why this happens on
Android but not on the dekstop.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta