Petrel data problems [was Re: Crash when opening log file]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Nov 23 07:25:02 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:39:55AM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:

> >I did a new fresh import from my Petrel on the latest master and saved it.
> >This time the saved petrel2.xml [1] does not contain the empty <cylinder
> >/> statements.  But id does contain cylinders with something in them, even
> >on gauge dives:
> >
> ><cylinder o2='52.0%' />
> ><cylinder o2='18.0%' he='45.0%' />

I haven't used my Petrel in gauge mode (that's one heck of an expensive
gauge...). It would make sense that it doesn't support any gases in that
mode, but libdivecomputer doesn't know that the Petrel was in gauge mode
so it tells us about those gases as they are present in the dive header.
I am making a lot of assumptions here - but since I know a little bit
about the Petrel data format I think these are reasonable assumptions.

Jef, can you confirm this analysis?

> >I tried to do a data dump, but both subsurface and the libdivecomputer
> >dump app doesn't cooperate:

IIRC, the Petrel doesn't support dumps.